“Don’t sweat the small stuff.” That’s what they say. Well, when it comes to actual sweat, it turns out that escaping the hazards of synthetic deodorant is actually kind of the big stuff. Yes, it’s true, switching products from something that works for you can be a challenge. But, achieving the peace of mind that comes with knowing your body is functioning naturally can be as rewarding as it is physically beneficial. We’ll explain a little about the difference in synthetic vs natural deodorants, and why you should switch deodorants to one of the best natural deodorants on the market..and it actually works!
Mainstream antiperspirant deodorants contain aluminum salts, yes- the metal!
This ingredient temporarily blocks the sweat glands on your skin to avoid any sticky underarms or unwanted sweat. When we perspire, the bacteria on the surface of our skin digest the fats and proteins in our sweat; it is this digestive off-gassing that causes sweat to have an odor. By blocking the sweat glands, the hope of an antiperspirant is to eliminate odor and wet stains at once.
Does using antiperspirant with aluminum have negative side effects?
This is a controversial topic, and one that has see-sawed over the past decade or more. While no direct correlation between absorption of aluminum through topical exposure has been proven, the link between use of products containing aluminum and build up in the body, and potential for increase risk of brain cancer or alzheimers have us concerned. No, we are not medical professionals. But we do try to make educated decisions about the safety of each product we use or each food that we eat. And this build up of a metal in the body does not feel safe – for us.
Natural deodorant brands, like Basic Naturals with their Fresh Underarms Roll-On Deodorant, take a different approach and use a less controversial absorbent ingredient to “soak up” the sweat, as well ingredients that neutralize or cover odor safely. The idea is not to stop the natural process of sweating, but to make it as pleasant as possible. Many would say that natural deodorants are a safer choice. A deep sweat, otherwise known as an oil-based sweat, can help eliminate built up fluids or toxins in the body. (Note- this refers to sweat generated in a sauna, from a fever, etc. not from regular workouts or heat). So, if we are able to expell toxins through sweat, why would we want to block them in at all?
One customer reviewed “Fresh Underarms” giving it a 10/10 and saying,
“This deodorant rocks!!! Like most people, in the high heat and humidity, my underarms sweat and then my skin gets red and irritated all over. With this deodorant, no angry pits!! After walking in the heat, I can move freely immediately afterward. My skin is much happier, so I am too. I don’t have particularly sensitive skin, but this deodorant showed me how much better it can be!! Also, the smell is fantastic and smells as natural as the ingredients, and I don’t need to put layer after layer (as I do with my old spice) to get the benefits!! 10/10 would recommend, you won’t know just how much you’re missing until you try it!” – Ethan (Basic Naturals customer)
Basic Naturals’ deodorant contains only skin benefiting ingredients which balance the skin, sweat, and odor naturally, organically and healthily:
- Aloe vera (barbadensis) juice which helps keep skin soft and smooth. The rollerball application is also refreshing and feels cooling.
- Vegetable glycerin adds body and consistency to products and prevents them from drying out. In our body care products, glycerin helps the skin to attract and retain its own natural moisture, leaving it feeling soft.
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is antibacterial and a pH neutraliser. In our deodorants, it is used to neutralise the acid in sweat and eliminate underarm bacteria, preventing body odour from forming.
- Arrowroot powder is used to thicken deodorant, but arrowroot has also been know to draw out toxins and impurities.
- Xanthan gum helps with texture and keeps the deodorant from running down your skin when you roll on the product
- Citric acid helps by exfoliating the outer layer of dead skin cells, cleaning pores, evening skin tone and softening and smoothing the skin.
Basic Naturals Skincare uses a proprietary blend of essential oils containing either:
Cedarwood (Black cap) which is reputed to guard the skin against environmental pollutants and toxins
Clary sage (White cap) which is known to reduce skin inflammation, heal the epidermis and soothe skin.
Did you know? Synthetic deodorant may in actually lead to more odor. When a person does make the switch from antiperspirant to natural deodorant, they often experience a period of purging sweats which smell worse than normal. They may be misled to think that their new deodorant is not working. However, the culprit is actually the old one. The buildup of blocked sweat in their glands takes about 3 weeks to reset. Maybe less if you sweat daily.
What are Some Common Differences Between Natural and Synthetic Deodorant
- There about a two-to-four-week transition period when your body is purging from buildup of sweat from your old deodorant or antiperspirant to a natural version. During this time, you may experience more odor than you are used to. However, with the right product, like Basic Naturals’ Clary Sage or Cedarwood deodorant, these annoyances can be minimal.
- You may feel you sweat more once you have transitioned into natural deodorants. This is because using the sweat-blocking “cousin” or synthetic version, can actually have the pysiological effect of making you feel hotter, however your sweat will have been blocked. The good news is that natural deodorant users tend to say that this this effect becomes less noticeable with time as your body temperature regulates and glands adjust to the new balance.
- Your skin may be more smooth! Ingredients in synthetic anti-perspirants and deodorants can cause underarm discoloration, bumps, rashes and irritations. After transitioning to a natural formula, you should see improvement!
- Less staining! The aluminum salts can cause yellowing of fabrics. White t-shirts making a come-back!?
TIPS FOR GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR DEODORANT
- Apply your deodorant straight after showering and immediately after exercise to keep underarms smelling fresh.
- Let your deodorant dry completely before getting dressed to avoid staining your clothes.
- To avoid any unpleasant armpit smells reapply regularly according to how much you sweat, your activity level, and the climate.
What are the Benefits of using Fresh Underarms Aluminum-free Deodorant by Basic Naturals
- 24- hour protection
- Non-comedogenic formula keeps skin smooth and doesn’t clog pores
- Doesn’t stain clothes
- Dries quickly
- No artificial fragrance
Other Related Products by www.Basic-Naturals.com
Want to read more about this topic: